Practice Paper English 1
Grammar and Composition
The trend of organizing School Reunions is fast catching on. Write a letter to one of your friends bringing out its pros and cons.
a. In each of the following sentences there is a blank place which can be filled in by a single word. Fill in each with the word which is appropriate. [Do write the sentences.]
1. We have been living ……this town ……eight years.
2. The ceremony is scheduled to take place …..Sunday ……6.p.m.
3. The farmer’s sons quarreled …… themselves …… over the share of profit.
4. The tiger was killed …… a stranger ….. a rifle.
5. His application ….. the job was not turned…….
b. Rewrite as directed the sentences given below according to the instruction given after each and making other changes that may be necessary, without changing the meaning of each sentence.
1. Either Nita or her sister …… at fault.
(Fill in using ‘is/are’)
2. Why did you not attend the function last night?
(Change the voice.)
3. Sheena said,” Alas! How foolish of me to leave out one question!”
(Change into indirect speech)
4. The Taj Mahal is the grandest building in the world.
5. None but a fool would do such a thing.
(Change into an assertive sentence)
6. As soon as he finishes his work, he starts singing in joy.
(Begin: No sooner…..)
7. You should open the door then only you will come to know what lies behind it.
(Rewrite using ‘Unless’)
8. The suit was so expensive that I could not buy it.
9. It was too hot. We could not practice our game.
(Begin: Had ….)
10. He was late. He was admitted.